PICC is a diverse coalition of over 50 member organizations and numerous individual members. Its membership includes community-based organizations, social and legal service providers, mutual assistance associations, unions, faith communities, immigrant leaders, and concerned individuals. PICC’s mission is to represent the needs of immigrants, refugees and new Americans living in Pennsylvania to policy makers, public officials, and the general public. PICC serves as a resource to member organizations and to stakeholders by providing information, identifying problems and promoting solutions to immigration issues. Its activities include regular educational forums, training programs, civic engagement, citizenship promotion and collective advocacy.
PICC’s Civic Engagement Internship centers on non-partisan voter registration of new citizens and civic engagement of registered voters, as part of a long-term strategy to increase electoral power in immigrant communities. As part of PICC’s civic engagement program, we help new citizens register to vote immediately following their citizenship ceremony. We also aim to connect with immigrant organizations across the state to build our coalition and register voters at events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attendance at 1-4 daytime citizenship ceremonies per week
- Review and process registration forms
- Assist with organizing voter mobilization activities (e.g. phone banks, canvassing) in advance of November election
- Assist to organize with Citizenship Days
- Provide support for special events and projects
- Assist with website content management
- Complete research projects
- Answer phone and email queries
- Excellent communication skills in English and preferably an additional language
- Comfort working in a variety of settings and with diverse populations
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, and Excel programs
- Facility in internet research
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with minimal supervision
Students from immigrant backgrounds encouraged to apply. Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. This internship is located in center city Philadelphia. PICC is currently not accepting internship applications at the moment. Please contact us again in April.