Our immigration system is broken.
Instead of treating people with dignity and providing accessible channels for legal status, the current immigration system keeps families apart, encourages exploitation of workers, and is overly complex. We need legal channels to bring people out of the shadows, a system that people can go through and not around.
A permanent fix requires Congress to overhaul our immigration system by passing comprehensive immigration legislation.
For updates on 2020 advocacy around the upcoming Supreme Court ruling on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), see our DACA 2020 Resource Page.
We also need to immediately address the mass deportation and detention of immigrant communities.
PICC supports federal immigration policy that:
- Provides a clear pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
- Protects and promotes family unification.
- Prevents the exploitation of immigrant workers and includes comprehensive protections for all immigrant workers through better enforcement of labor laws.
- Provides fundamental due process and civil rights for all immigrants.
- Promotes full integration of immigrants into U.S. society.
In November, 2012 PICC brought together a statewide coalition to advocate for comprehensive immigration reform. Read the full platform of that coalition.