Our immigration system is broken.
Instead of treating people with dignity and providing accessible channels for legal status, the current immigration system keeps families apart, encourages exploitation of workers, and is overly complex. We need legal channels to bring people out of the shadows, a system that people can go through and not around.
A permanent fix requires Congress to overhaul our immigration system by passing comprehensive immigration legislation.
PICC supports federal immigration policy that:
- Provides a clear pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
- Protects and promotes family unification.
- Prevents the exploitation of immigrant workers and includes comprehensive protections for all immigrant workers through better enforcement of labor laws.
- Restores fundamental due process and civil rights of immigrants.
- Promotes full integration of immigrants into U.S. society.
- In November, 2012 PICC brought together a statewide coalition to advocate for comprehensive immigration reform. Read the full platform of the coalition.
We need to immediately address the mass deportation and detention of immigrant communities.
While PICC will continue to fight for a permanent solution to our broken immigration system, in the meantime, we will work to stop the mass deportation and detention of immigrants and refugees. These efforts include:
- Campaign to Shut Down Berks: PICC is working to shut down the Berks Family Detention Center, one of four immigrant family detention centers in the country
- Passing policies to limit collaboration between local law enforcement and ICE. In 2014 PICC was part of the Philadelphia Family Unity Network, which passed one of the most progressive ICE Hold policies in the country.
- Training leaders on community-led deportation defense campaigns