There are many ways to be involved with PICC. Volunteers are a critical part of our work. They help our organization to have a large impact even though our staff is small.
New Citizens = New Voters Program:
Every week, the lives of hundreds of families are changed by becoming US Citizens. PICC believes that voting is one of the foundations of being an engaged citizen, so we attend every ceremony in Philadelphia to register new citizens to vote.
These ceremonies happen year-round, so we always need new volunteers. Volunteer shifts are available every week. You can sign up online for the days and times that work best for you!
Civic Engagement Internship:
PICC’s Civic Engagement Internship centers on non-partisan voter registration of new citizens and civic engagement of registered voters, as part of a long-term strategy to increase electoral power in immigrant communities. This internship is located in center city Philadelphia.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attendance at 2-4 daytime citizenship ceremonies per week (Monday & Friday)
- Work under the supervision of the Statewide Capacity Building Coordinator to support the voter engagement efforts of our partners
- Organize and conduct presentations on U.S. civics at the request of our partners
- Assist with organizing voter mobilization activities (e.g. phone banks, canvassing)
- Review and process registration forms
- Provide support for special events and projects
- Assist with website content management
- Complete research projects
- Answer phone and email queries
- Excellent communication skills in English and preferably an additional language
- Comfort working in a variety of settings and with diverse populations
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, and Excel programs
- Facility in internet research
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with minimal supervision
Students from immigrant backgrounds encouraged to apply. Please send your resume and cover letter to Carlos Adolfo Gonzalez, PICC’s Statewide Capacity Building Coordinator, at 215-832-0615. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.