PICC is Hiring: Youth OrganizerMar 7 2019 PICC Blog
The Pennsylvania Immigration and Citizenship Coalition (PICC) is a diverse coalition of over 50 member organizations across the state. Our mission is to advance immigrant rights and promote immigrants’ full integration into society by advocating with a unified voice for greater public understanding and welcoming public policies throughout Pennsylvania. PICC leads and supports campaigns to advance immigrant rights at the local, state, and federal levels; builds immigrant electoral power through voter registration and education; supports grassroots community-led organizations through training and capacity building; and helps increase access to immigration services through the PA is Ready! project.
PICC’s youth organizing project aims to strengthen leadership among immigrant communities by helping immigrant and refugee youth become grassroots organizers and leaders of immigrant rights campaigns. The Youth Organizer will lead efforts to reach out to local immigrant and refugee youth, organize events and trainings for youth to learn leadership skills, and organize PICC’s annual Immigrant Youth Summer Convening. The Youth Organizer will also support PICC’s ongoing advocacy efforts; cultivate long-term relationships with partner and member organizations; and identify new strategic partnerships.
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
- Developing and leading trainings with young people in organizing skills, including outreach, campaign strategy, and planning actions
- Organizing annual Youth Leadership Convening
- Managing youth membership and coordinating monthly youth calls
- Supporting youth to develop local youth-led groups and/or clubs
- Working closely with youth leaders to bring youth voices and participation in to all PICC campaigns and coalitions
- Building resilient and long-lasting relationships with coalition partners, including grassroots community organizations, faith-based groups, service providers, and governmental agencies
- Developing public education materials and resources on immigration policy
- Leading community outreach and education efforts
- Attending and participating in required educational programs, staff meetings, and national learning calls
- Collecting and reporting data on agreed project outcomes
- Representing PICC at local and regional events
The ideal candidate will have a background in youth organizing, be highly motivated, organized, comfortable working independently, and adept at solving problems. This position can be based in Central PA or Southeast PA.
Persons of color and from immigrant backgrounds strongly encouraged to apply. The Pennsylvania Immigration and Citizenship Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race or ethnicity, gender, age, national origin, marital status, disability or sexual orientation.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the following:
- Organizing experience, with a focus on youth organizing and leadership building
- Experience and commitment to working with multicultural and immigrant communities
- Experience developing training materials/curriculum and leading trainings and workshops
- Coalition coordination skills and ability to build relationship of trust with long-term allies
- Ability to work independently and to set and meet deadlines and benchmarks without external prompting
- Interpersonal and communications skills, with an emphasis on ability to navigate coalition dynamics and support the leadership of immigrant community members
- Organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities at once
- Understanding of issues impacting immigrants at the local, state, and national level
- Fluency in a language spoken within Pennsylvania’s immigrant communities (e.g. Spanish, Mandarin, etc.)
- Ability to reliably track and report on project outcomes
- Must have a car and valid driver’s license
- Willingness to travel within Pennsylvania and to regional and national events
Salary & Benefits:
- 40 hours per week including some evening and weekend hours
- Starting salary is $35,000 based on the organization’s salary scale
- Benefits include medical coverage, employer match retirement, and paid vacation and sick leave
Please submit resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Youth Organizer”. Applications will be considered on ongoing basis, with a final deadline of August 30, 2019. No phone calls please. References will be requested upon interview.