Stop HB1885 – Advocacy Resources (2016)
The Pennsylvania Senate is expected to vote this week on HB1885, a bill that would punish cities and counties that limit collaboration with ICE, and would increase racial profiling in PA. If passed into law, this bill would make our communities less safe and would open every municipality in PA to costly litigation. We believe our legislators should focus on issues such as fully funding public schools and increasing minimum wage that would help all of us, not targeting and criminalizing immigrant communities.
What You Can Do:
- Send an email to your representatives! http://bit.do/StopHB1885
- Download the attached talking points.
- Call or visit your State Senator. Look up legislators here: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/
- Contact Governor Wolf to ensure he will veto HB1885 and any other anti-immigrant or anti-refugee bill that comes to his desk. Contact him here: https://www.governor.pa.gov/contact/
Other useful materials:
- Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center fiscal analysis of HB1885: http://bit.ly/2eyJian
- List of recent legal cases involving ICE detainer policies – sometimes called “sanctuary policies” (attached)
- ACLU explanation of immigration detainers
- Information on police-ICE collaboration from NILC
- Recent article in Legal Intelligencer about HB1885 (attached)
- A Changing Landscape: Pennsylvania Counties Reevaluate Policies on Immigration Detainers, a report by the Sheller Center for Social Justice on immigration detainer policies across Pennsylvania